From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 2001 10:26:30 -0800
Theosophy was a genuine mea culpa.

It was a word grasped in a fit of mind flit when
theology didn't sound right, but I didn't have the
desire to look in the Thesaurus for the right word
because I wasn't sure I knew where to start at that
moment in time.  It was one of those mid-life,
perimenopausal mind vacations that women get on
occasion when trying to remember nouns.

The Pope and I are Polish, so no I was not bagging on
Catholicism.

And my point is that I very much take umbrage at
Giuliani superimposing his religious values atop an
entire city where it comes to art.  If the (not)
esteemed mayor finds such an exhibition offensive, he
can choose to not visit the museum.

But, to preclude the world from being able to see it
and make up its own mind is, to me more offensive than
making Christ a female.

We'll get pissy, I'm sure, if we superimpose religion
into this dialogue further.  You'll say something
acerbic, and I'll have to counter with all this and
faith-based initiatives, too.  It could get messy.

My complaint is with the censorship and denying people
the opportunity to make up their own mind as to what
is right and wrong.  If the public finds the
exhibition offensive, they, too, will boycott, and it
will fold in ignominy.

To grandstand as Rudy often does, as experience showed
the last time he pulled this maneuver, only serves to
publicize the art work and draw new visitors that
might otherwise have overlooked it.

Now what was YOUR point? Save for a public
comeuppance, I suspect there really wasn't one--and
yes, you have managed to miff me ever so slightly.

I'll learn to forgive you, but . . .

--- "David E. Haberstich" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> In a message dated 01-02-20 14:57:58 EST, Indigo
> Nights wrote:
>
> << Interesting follow-up editorial on Giuliani's
> decency panel.  Remember,
> this is not the first time he has come out swinging
> like this, especially
> when the artwork offends his Catholic theosophy. >>
>
> More curious words!  Why do you say "theosophy"?
> Theosophy seems to imply
> either (a) mysticism or (b) a set of beliefs which
> don't normally have any
> connection with Catholicism.  No, it isn't the first
> time.  And your point?
>
> David Haberstich

> Important Subscriber Information:
>
> The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
> http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ . You may
> obtain detailed information about the listserv
> commands by sending a one line e-mail message to
> [log in to unmask] . The body of the
>
> If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one
> line e-mail message to [log in to unmask]
> . The body of the message should read "Signoff
> Museum-L" (without the quotes).

=====
Indigo Nights