From:
Liz Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 2000 17:02:23 -0700
Dear Abby -
Kelly Goulette forwarded your email on to me.  I am responsible for a senior outreach program called Museum on Wheels - it has been very successful over the years - 22 years to be exact.  Our program has been run by volunteers, headed by a staff person.  We take a 20 minutes slide program and some related artifacts to nursing homes & assisted living facilities.  We have 4 topics for facilities to choose from.  We've received great feedback from the facilities and the volunteers received an award several years ago for the value of their service.
I should tell you too that the DMNS has decided to sunset this program at the close of 2000.  The reasons for this are many but to name the biggest...
the original intent of this outreach program was education - the reality was more of a social service (which is terrific & SO important but not in line with the educational mission of the museum).  Many of the folks who attended the programs were not fully aware - and though they really enjoy the human contact, in the end - they may or may not be able to say what the presentation they just listened to was about.  I suppose this was the obstacle we encountered each year as we evaluated the program.
There is definitely a niche here...and a need.  The work was hugely rewarding in a warm-fuzzy way but like I said, it did not meet the educational goals we set out with. I believe that an incarnation of Museum on Wheels will be resurrected in the future but perhaps with a more realistic expectation in terms of the goal of the program.
I hope this information helps you and if you have any specific questions, please feel free to call or email me (see below).
Take care,
Liz

Liz Davis
Special Programs Coordinator
Denver Museum of Nature & Science
2001 Colorado Blvd.
Denver, CO  80205
Phone:  (303) 370-6489
Fax:       (303) 370-6153

***Please note that my email address has changed to [log in to unmask]***

>>> [log in to unmask] 10/01/00 04:51PM >>>
Hello All-

I am developing an offsite program that will target senior centers and
nursing homes for a mid-sized modern & contemporary art museum.  I have
numerous questions and would be interested in hearing of similar programs
or from anyone with programs in place or in progress.

My questions include:

*Which museums have particularly successful offsite programs for seniors?*

*What successes have you had with your offsite program for senior centers
and nursing homes?  What improvements have you had to make?  What obstacles
have you had to overcome?*

*How do you approach conroversial subject matter in contemporary art with
seniors?  In what context do you place it or do you ignore/exclude it?*

Any answers, advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Abby Allen Fetter
Graduate Student
Seton Hall University