From:
David Bobeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 10:44:00 -0400
you wrote:

>I just thought I'd point out that when I am considering a candidate for a
>position, I always search the Museum-L archive for their email address to
see
>what, if anything, they've posted in the last year or two. I know several
>other people at my institution do this as well.

I have yet to see much on the list that I would consider grounds for not
hiring a talented and qualified individual. This is the forum where we
exchange ideas, share joys, *and* vent frustrations.
I'd be more inclined to worry about those who clog the list with judgments
of what is and isn't appropriate as this borders on censorship. Not the
sort of behavior one should be looking for in an *arts* professional.

>Of course, the vast majority of these searches turn up nothing, as the
vast
>majority of museum folk don't post to museum-L. But if it turned up the
kinds
>of unprofessional comments that some posted in response to yesterdays job
>listing, I would think twice about hiring that individual.

This is quite a statement. What makes you think any of the individuals you
are referring to, whoever they are, won't be hiring *you* someday. You have
thrown down a gauntlet of sorts here. Now all the people who responded have
to decide if they are the ones you are passing judgment upon.

If I must, my response to the job posting was based on my opinion of what I
see as a really bad hiring practice and system of staffing structure. I am
not commenting on the salary issue since I disagree with everyone and i
will just get flamed.

Well now it seems I have gotten more involved in this than I originally
cared to and perhaps fallen victim to the same syndrome as the folks that
others and now even I have unwittingly condemed for fanning dull embers
into four alarm blazes so I will not comment on this anymore. Oh, the
intricacies of web-ettiquette. It's really against the ettiquette to
comment on the lack of it.

sigh...

david