From:
Kathryn Merritt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jul 2000 17:11:21 -0400
When you are choosing a museum career direction, is it better to forget the
job title and think more in terms of interest and ability clusters?
Hem...haw...okay, I suppose you want an example:

For instance, I really do not fit the extrovert/educator or the introvert/
curator mold. I am completely in the middle. I love my subject matter, hate
large crowds, don't like too much isolation day after day, and enjoy
researching, interpreting, but also love an occasional presentation. I love
writing and would love to edit a museum journal one day in addition to
running the show in a museum. I have this vague notion that the world needs
to have an out-of-body experience in museums and be extremely informed as a
result of our pioneering efforts to reach them. Grantwriting and some
developing would be fun, but I wouldn't like to get stuck with nothing but
business. I love developing new ideas for presentation and even education,
but don't like dealing with hords of children.

You're probably wondering why I asked this. In a moment of insanity, I
started working on a second masters in museum studies. When is enough
learnin' enough? I'm going to have some fun in my life when I finish and am
deciding where to land.

Okay, so what's the creative approach? BTW, my own background is in Spanish,
history, journalism. Help, anyone? BTW, my other dream is to become Richard
Bolles and help everyone figure out what color their parachute is.

Kat