From:
Megan Bryant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 12:44:20 -0600
As a child in Chicago one of my favorite treats was to go to "the button
museum" with my dad.  That's what I called the Museum of Science and
Industry....  I think it was the interactives in the telecommunications
exhibit there that got me calling it that (this was back in the 70s).

But by far my most memorable museum experience was a members' night family
event at the Field Museum when I was about seven or eight.  We got to go
back into the storage areas (or at least the hallways outside) where staff
members were doing various demonstrations and such.  I was fascinated by all
the behind the scenes stuff.  I remember at first being really intrigued
that there was lots of stuff in the museum that wasn't out in the exhibits
and then wondering why and asking all sorts of, I'm sure now really
annoying, questions of the various staff running the demonstrations.
Looking back, I'm sure that's when the early seeds of my future career in
collections management were planted.

Megan P. Bryant
Registrar/Collections Manager
The Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza