I appreciate Barbara's thoughtful exploration of the Enola Gay situation.
Native Americans, African Americans and others are constantly confronted
with the instruments of our destruction and humiliation in museums and in
American society. One of the most striking examples is the monument to "all
those fallen in wars against Indians" that sits in the middle of the Santa
Fe Plaza in NM. Everyone comes to see Indian art and artifact and the
monument aggrandizes those who have killed these same Indians. I hope the
Smithsonian wrestles with this as it will help the efforts at NMAI and the
new African American museum at A&I.

Paul Apodaca
Bowers Museum
Santa Ana, CA