Wendy Botting writes:

>Any comments from curators at the Smithsonian or from U. Penn's archaeology
>museum? I'm sure this issue is not as cut-and-dried (bad metaphor) as Mr.
>Prouty suggests.

I have been a principal consultant for NMAI and do not know of any
exhibition plans that would contradict Mr. Prouty. As a curator with 15
years service, I know of no need to exhibit the type of material in
question. As a Navajo, I can find numerous religious reasons for respecting
the dead. If this issue is not cut-and-dried, it should be. I believe Mr.
Prouty is speaking from the best stance one can take on this issue.

Paul Apodaca
Curator of Native American Art
Bowers Museum
Santa Ana, CA