Thank you to everyone who applied for my personal grant of $10,000 to be awarded to a small museum for a specific project.  There were a number of great submissions but only one could be chosen.  Please keep an eye out on MuseumL for future grant opportunities.  The award goes to the Accokeek Foundation for their project “Black and Indigenous Narratives of The Potomac.”

The Accokeek Foundation is a small non-profit who stewards Piscataway Park at the traditional capital of the Piscataway people. Founded in 1957 to protect the view from George Washington’s Mount Vernon across the Potomac, the Foundation has over 65 years of experience in preserving and protecting cultural resources. After hosting the launch of the Southern Maryland National Heritage Area, the Foundation continues to be a center point for leading-edge cultural preservation. The Foundation has strong partnerships with MD, DC, VA schools, and primarily services students in Prince George’s and Charles County school systems.  Through the “Black and Indigenous Narratives of The Potomac” Project, the Accokeek Foundation will create diverse, accurate, and widely accessible digital and physical collections based around oral histories from African American and Indigenous fishing industry workers, in their own words. These collections will be the basis of creating an effective interpretive plan for inclusive educational programs for years to come. These oral histories will also be the basis for new wayside exhibits that combine cultural traditions and history with contemporary resource challenges, ecological sustainability, and resilience initiatives to convey an Indigenous stewardship ethic.  The Accokeek Foundation seeks to provide access to the untold stories of all who shaped this landscape. Through collecting, preserving, and sharing back these stories about Piscataway, enslaved African, Free Black, and Afro-Indigenous groups with ties to this region, this project is integral to interpreting a more expansive view of this land and its people, past and present.

For those that did not see the original announcement, the text follows.

I have a charitable contribution of $10,000 to give to a deserving museum.  Yes, I know all of you are deserving.  There are only a few requirements: you must be a registered non-profit; you must be small – I’ll leave that definition up to you; it can NOT go to your general fund or endowment; it must be for a specific project, ideally in collections preservation, including historic buildings; the project must occur soon, not a year or two down the road; you agree to provide me with updates on the project’s progress.  The project can be a new one just for these funds, or a discrete part of a larger project.  Simply write me an email with a description of your project and why you are a worthy recipient.

Marc A. Williams, Principal
   American Conservation Consortium, llc
   4 Rockville Road
   Broad Brook, CT 06016
   860-386-6058

*Collections Preservation Consultation
*Conservation Assessments & Surveys
*Environmental Monitoring & Low-Tech Control
*Moisture Management Solutions
*Collections in Historic Structures
*Collections Care Grant Preparation