From:
Sarah Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 2021 12:32:52 -0500
The Anthropocene is an equal opportunity collections research topic - arts and humanities as well as science.

I'm looking for some additional colleagues (globally) who have discovered, or think they could discover, evidence in their existing collections that, when compared to present-day data, illustrates 1) a changed climate or 2) human resilience to climate conditions in the past and adaptation in the present.

This could be an similar to the Anchorage Museum's "Climate Change Photography Resource Guide" Compiled by Claire Berman, William E. Davis Intern 2018. It is a collection of photographs that have been tagged as comparative evidence of climate change (receding glaciers, etc).

That is a fully realized example of re-examining and classifying collections for climate change clues. I'm looking for both completed projects or ones that lend themselves to this.

Art collections are likely sources too - paintings and photographs of shorelines or vegetation or habitation may be useful for comparing to modern data to demonstrate resilience or impacts.

This is for a book I'm working on for Routledge. The idea is to explain an emerging use of non-science collections to demonstrate climate change for a public that doesn't see themselves as scientists.

If you haven't examine your collection this way, and are interested, I'd be happy to talk about it with you and be a research cheerleader.

Sarah Sutton