Dear Steve,
    Last January witnessed the opening of the first National Museum in Saudi Arabia, Riyadh.
My participation in the theortical and practical aspects of it was almost from the start.
I took part in the early founding stages till I was made responsible for one of the largest galleries in the museum, Man and Nature gallery.
As an archaeologists with a modest experience on museology, mainly from this project, I might be of help if you wish me to comment on specific issues or points in regard to the topic you wish to investigate.
It has been a marvelous experience and a new turning point in people's understanding of the past in Saudi Arabia to the extent that I am hoping to present a paper about the whole project in the AAM meeting in Paltimore next year.
Please e-mail me if you are interested.

Dr. Abdullah Alsharekh
Department of Archaeology &Museology, College of Arts, P.O.Box 2456
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia./     e-mail: [log in to unmask]

Steven Lubar wrote:

Can anyone suggest useful reading on the idea of a national museum: when
was it invented, what has it meant to different countries at different
times? Thanks for any advice.

Steve Lubar
National Museum of American History