Diane,

You/list members can review/peruse/download our Free WhitePaper an
"Executive Guide to Managing Your Orgs Email Commerce'. Use code/id 109 at
<http://www.surveyssay.com> Topics include latest ecommerce management and
list serve technology for Ecom and maintaining your member database(s) for
(i.e., E-zines, targeted email, personalized email, conditional content,
campaigns, webforms for registrations, trackable URL's, measuring
effectiveness, statements/billing, and more. *Note* you may also use this
code/id 109 for additional Free trial demos/evals & White Papers . . .i.e.
**UnityMail features above**. Please feel free to extend this invitation to
your Staff/Depts.

At 09:24 AM 10/7/1999 -0400, Beverly Balger wrote:
>Diane,
>Thanks for the very good explanation of the difference between data
>bases and collections management systems.  I found it helpful and
>interesting.
>
>One point of disagreement -
>
>>Why would any sane person want to spend so much time and energy developing a
>>system when there are very good systems already developed?
>
>I chose to hire someone to develop a database on FilemakerPro for me
>because I work on a Mac.  While there are tons of wonderful options
>for PCs, when I went to AAM in Cleveland and visited every vendor
>there, there were exactly 2 options for us Mac users.  One system was
>so well hidden that I couldn't find them (not reassuring when
>thinking about future support) and the other got very bad reviews
>from the users I polled.  Well, come to think of it there was a third
>option, but no way is my small museum going to spend $20,000 on a
>collections database.  One of the salespersons of the $20,000 system
>took me aside and suggested I get FilemakerPro.
>
>All of the concerns you state are valid, and shared by me.  I once
>swore that I would never build my own database because it is so
>dependant upon the whims of the person who builds it.  Over the past
>10 years I've walked into three museums with databases no one knew
>how to use because the person who developed them had moved away.
>However, in my current situation, building my own system on
>FilemakerPro was the best choice.  It's an off-the-shelf piece of
>software which we've modified very little.  Anyone who's used
>Filemaker in any situation should be able to figure it out.  There is
>lots of support for Filemaker here at Penn State, so even if my
>museum didn't have anyone who knows how to use it, there are people
>around who do.  Plus, it's affordable.  What we ended up with is
>clearly a database, not a collections management system, but it's a
>step towards a CMS and has helped tremendously in keeping track of
>the collection.
>
>Just my 2 cents from a small museum perspective.
>Beverly Balger
>Registrar, Palmer Museum of Art
>The Pennsylvania State University
>University Park, PA  16802
>(814) 865-7672

>Important Subscriber Information:
>
>The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
>http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ museum-l.html. You may obtain
>detailed information about the listserv commands by sending a one line
>e-mail message to [log in to unmask] The body of the message
>should read "help" (without the quotes).

>[log in to unmask] The body of the message should read "Signoff
>Museum-L" (without the quotes).

Jim Henry, Ex Dir Strategic Alliances
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
JH&A  614.771.4805 / 888.859.8644 VOICE  /  614.771.4806 FAX
<http://www.surveyssay.com>    Updated 9-2-99
'E Mail Solutions'  Free Trial Demos/WhitePapers Use code/id 110