I am adding to this discussion, as I am searching around the world for
historic images for a new exhibition, and am finding that some collections
formerly associated with museums and institutions have given their image
collections to image banks.  These images then cost us, as a non-profit
institution, between US $200 and $400 per image.... far too expensive for us
to use.  Once this is transferred into Australian dollars ... think a
thousand a pop.
This means that we cannot use those images most significant to the
historical context of the exhibition.  An alarming trend indeed.
Adrienne Leith
Curator, Mapping the Mind and Body
Human Mind and Body Program
Museum Victoria