I was recently hired to establish a new industrial museum in Miami County, Ohio (30 miles north of Dayton).  I am not a museum professional but am experienced in the nonprofit field and know the local sources of funding for this project.  We have a mission statement, 501c3 status, a board of trustees and a 25,000 sq ft building that was donated to us.

I have joined AAM, contacted our state historical association and started visiting with local museum professionals.  I have already poured thru AAM's publications on starting a museum.  Also, am meeting with the local university staff that offers a MA in Public History.

Are there any books that outline the sequential development of a museum from day one?  Everything I have read so far seems too specific for my needs or too basic.  Where should I go in the US to see the best examples of industrial museums?   Who is the expert??

And, reading the minds of the museum professionals on this listserv, the board will hire a museum professional when this project moves further along

Al Muelhoefer