Recently, Museum administrators have challenged my assertions that it is unethical for me to provide appraisals to potential donors who want a charitable gift tax deduction. I am somewhat aware of the conflicts of interest this poses, but have been unable to develop, in layman's terms, an argument against providing appraisal services in donation scenarios. I even thought it might be illegal, but apparently IRS rule changes from the early 1990s allow museums to determine "fair market value". We are a military history museum and if we offer one appraisal, it is assured our actions will spawn ten more similar requests. Likewise, I would not consider myself an expert in militaria collectibles. My research time would be reduced significantly by these type of activities. What are some of the arguments against providing appraisals and can anyone recommend published resources enumerating them? Thanks in advance. You may respond off-list.

W. Parker Hayes Jr.
Curator & Director of Operations
Airmen Memorial Museum