Danna Freedy should not have had to explain to anyone that the Cantor Foundation's posting was for a museum opening paying "in the low 20s."  Anyone who's followed the sporadic bursts of concern on this list about (1) NO job openings and (2) low entry salaries should understand that getting the foot in the door should be Priority A for someone wanting to get in the museum field.

Yes, everyone is exactly right to lament the relatively low compensation available to so many museum professionals -- with or without advanced degrees.  It will take an aggressive and collective effort by the museums themselves -- perhaps through the AAM -- to change the level at which America values our work.

I think their communities give high priority to the museums and similar institutions out in the hinterlands.  These places "belong" to the people -- they often stand alone in the smaller cities and rural areas as uplifting places.  Not so many prospective museum professionals are willing to work away from the major metropolitan areas, however.  They are missing out on extraordinary opportunities, in my view.

Ross Weeks Jr.
Tazewell VA
http://www.netscope.net/~histcrab