Internship Opportunity Internship Opportunity: New England Folklife Center Cambodian Shop Sign Project
Spring 1999

The New England Folklife Center, a joint project of Lowell National Historical Park and Middlesex Community College, documents the life and traditions of the people of New England. An urban laboratory for creating community based projects, the New England Folklife Center collaborates with local groups, cultural and social service agencies, individual sacholars, and schools.

We are currently developing an exhibition of Cambodian shop signs. This is an unprecedented exhibition, and one of great interest to our immediate community of Lowell, Massachusetts. In preparation for the exhibition, we are seeking an intern to assist in the registration of the shop sign collection. As this internship is unpaid, the ideal candidate will be working towards a MA in Information Science or Museum Studies, and can receive graduate credit for this experience. Interest in Cambodian culture or knowledge of the Khmer language is preferred, though not required. The ideal candidate will be familiar with Filemaker Pro, image scanning, and photography, though supplementary training may be provided.

For further information, contact:
Dr. Laurie Beth Kalb
Director
New England Folklife Center