Dear David,
    I think that in the U.S. economic prosperity generally increases the
number of cultural organizations in the affected areas.  In areas that
are suffering from economic difficulties, such as the Northeast of the
U.S., small museums are struggling to stay open because there is little
economic activity to provide operating income - most museums in America
are privately operated, as opposed to being funded by the government.
So if, for example, there is little industry and few high paying jobs,
it is difficult for museums in those areas to get enough money to
operate.
    A second issue is what in the U.S. is referred to as "cultural
tourism."  Here, tourism is a major factor in many museums' revenue,
because of  admissions income, gift shop sales and so forth.  People who
seem unwilling to visit a museum in their own area, will eagerly visit
them while on vacation.  So, both a good economic climate and a  good
destination for tourism are excellent for the growth of museums.
Regards,
Chuck Watkins
(By the way, my university has an exchange relationship with the
University of Shenyang.

--
Dr. Charles A. Watkins
Appalachian Cultural Museum