Thankyou David Harvey. Of course this is a far more relevant issue for discussion.

If the larger issues of affirmative action had been raised, as some of the commentary has suggested might be behind Mr. Herrings comments, then that would be a legitimate "issue" for discussion on the list.

The delight in vilifying Herring and, as such, side stepping this considerably more pressing issue seems to imply that the idea of supportive bias or preferential treatment in the interests of equity, access and inclusion holds little favour in the cultural sector. How long can we delude ourselves that the playing field is level? In our institution, under government support, applicants with specific cultural backgrounds are openly sought for certain positions.

Gary Crockett
Curator
Hyde Park Barracks Museum
Sydney Australia