>Also, what are "art centers?" Are they "museums?" Or are they
>different but equivalent?

Well, this misunderstanding is what we in art centers are trying to correct!
We need an AAM-type organization of our own.

Art centers basically give art instruction, sponsor programs for working
artists, present arts programming such as performances, exhibitions, etc.,
and according to the individual institution may do a variety of other
community-based activities that resemble those of some museums.

>Or do I misunderstand totally, that this "non-degree accreditation
>process" is, too, involved with "programs," quasi-academic programs
>involving the delivery of instruction, with a credentialing outcome of
>some kind?

In a word, yes.  Our art instruction is as good or better than some
universities, but you don't have to matriculate in a degree-granting program
to take the classes.

Julia Moore
Indianapolis Art Center