It is not uncommon for "value per measure" comparisons to be used in fine
art evaluations, particularly when attempting to defend an appraised
value or asking price for a proposed acquisition in the absence of
documented recent comparative sales prices.

It sounds pretty philistine but sometimes it is the only comparative tool
available.

Greg Spurgeon
Head, Art Documentation & Storage
National Gallery of Canada