I, too, would be interested in any advice anyone has to offer on this
subject (museum work) and I believe I may have posted something to that
effect a long time ago.  I do have a Masters in Ancient History but am now
seemingly hopelessly stuck working as a library assistant.  I used to like
the work, but now it is becoming more and more a matter of technical
expertise rather than academic background.  I also could have held out for
the bucks and continued on as a PC hardware technician instead of going to
graduate school had that been the path I wanted my career (read with
sarcasm) to go.