Liverpool University Press is pleased to inform you of the latest content in SCULPTURE JOURNAL, a highly regarded publication that is essential reading for those working in and researching sculpture in all its aspects from prehistory to the present across the globe.

Volume 32.4 is a Special Issue titled 'Valuing sculpture: art, craft and industry, 1660–1860'. Contributions reconsider the significance of the interrelationships between art, craft & industry from the seventeenth to the nineteenth centuries.

This Special Issue is a response to the discussions that arose from the ‘Valuing Sculpture: Art, Craft and Industry, 1660–1860’ conference held in July 2021. The conference would not have been possible without the generous support of WRoCAH and the Henry Moore Institute.

Browse all articles >

Download a free issue >

To recommend a subscription to Sculpture Journal to your library, please use our email template to contact your librarian

Sign up to our mailing list | Follow us on Twitter

Table of contents

INTRODUCTION

VALUING SCULPTURE: ART, CRAFT AND INDUSTRY, 1660–1860

SAMANTHA LUKIC-SCOTT AND CHARLOTTE DAVIS

MATERIALITY AND TECHNOLOGY

VALUING SCULPTURE IN THE LONG EIGHTEENTH CENTURY: MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY

M. G. SULLIVAN

‘PECULIARLY FIT FOR STATUES’: THE CONTRIBUTION OF COADE’S FIRED ARTIFICIAL STONE TO SCULPTURE IN THE EIGHTEENTH CENTURY

CAROLINE STANFORD

REPRODUCTION AND RECEPTION

THE YOUNG NATURALIST BY HENRY WEEKES: INTERMEDIALITY, INDUSTRY AND INTERNATIONAL EXHIBITIONS

REBECCA WADE

‘WIDER THAN THE REALM OF ENGLAND’: THE HOSACK FAMILY HERITAGE, ATLANTIC SLAVERY AND CASTING MARY, QUEEN OF SCOTS FOR THE NATION

LIBERTY PATERSON

ORNAMENT AND DECORATION

VALUING ORNAMENT: JEAN-BAPTISTE PLANTAR (1790–1879) BETWEEN ART, CRAFT AND INDUSTRY

JUSTINE GAIN

THE ART OF STUCCO IN SOUTHERN PORTUGAL: MORPHOLOGIES, VALUE JUDGEMENTS AND THE PREJUDICE OF CONSERVATION

PATRICIA MONTEIRO

ILLUSION AND WONDER

FABRICATING ENCHANTMENT: ANTOINE BENOIST’S WAX COURTIERS IN LOUIS XIV’S PARIS

DAVID MARK MITCHELL

REVIEW

REVIEW

JENNIFER DUDLEY

NOTES ON CONTRIBUTORS

CONTRIBUTORS

Best wishes,

On behalf of Liverpool University Press

Natasha Bikkul (she/her/hers)

Journals Marketing Manager

L I V E R P O O L  U N I V E R S I T Y  P R E S S   |   F O U N D E D  1 8 9 9

4 Cambridge Street, Liverpool, L69 7ZU

Sign up to our mailing list | Browse our AW23 catalogue

This message is confidential to the intended recipient. If you have received it by mistake, please notify the sender. Any attachment has been virus-checked, but no responsibility is accepted for any virus unintentionally transmitted. The contents of this email are not legally binding. Liverpool University Press 2004 Limited, Company Number 05113671, is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the University of Liverpool.

https://HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM/scripts/wa-HOME.exe?SUBED1=MUSEUM-L&A=1