Dear All,

Danielle Bronon writes: "If so, what's the value in [advanced] degrees if they do not necessarily advance careers?"

A good question, in response to which -- as somebody who came to the Museum world (and my current job) with a PhD in history and a 20+ career in academia behind me, and as the parent of a newly minted post-graduate with MAs in Museum Studies and Modern History -- I'd offer two observations
Does everyone working in a museum need a graduate degree?  Not at all. Is practical knowledge, accumulated through volunteer experience or by working closely with experienced professionals, valuable?  Of course. As someone wrote, up-thread: Grab every chance you get to expand your experience.

But many of the things that Museums do -- including classifying, cataloging, describing, and building webs of meaning between collection items in increasingly sophisticated ways and imbedding collection items ever more deeply and richly in their (multiple) social-cultural-political-intellectual context(s) -- are enhanced (and, past a certain point, only possible) with the skills that come from graduate-level study.

Best wishes,

A. Bowdoin Van Riper
Research Librarian
Martha's Vineyard Museum