Good Afternoon Listers,

Our institution was recently approached by someone conducting research for his dissertation (due next week of course). The researcher is interested in referencing the transcripts of a series of interviews with African Americans in our area; the same interviews resulted in the publication of a book of oral histories. Ideally, the researcher would like to include digitized pages of the transcripts in his dissertation.

We've looked through our records and the interviewees agreed to assign "all rights, title, and interest in any reproduction which may be used from these original recordings..." The release continues, "I hereby permit the Museum to use and distribute the information with any restrictions named below placed on its use."

In the instance that no restrictions were put in place, it seems pretty cut and dry to be able to supply this researcher with the scans of the transcripts--I guess where I'm still at a loss is whether scans of the transcripts used as images in a dissertation presents any infringement issues or necessitates some kind of notice or something similar in the citation?

I look forward to your replies!

Thanks in advance,
Erica

https://HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM/scripts/wa-HOME.exe?SUBED1=MUSEUM-L&A=1