Good Afternoon Listers,

Our institution was recently approached by someone conducting research for
his dissertation (due next week of course). The researcher is interested in
referencing the transcripts of a series of interviews with African
Americans in our area; the same interviews resulted in the publication of a
book of oral histories. Ideally, the researcher would like to include
digitized pages of the transcripts in his dissertation.

We've looked through our records and the interviewees agreed to assign "all
rights, title, and interest in any reproduction which may be used from
these original recordings..." The release continues, "I hereby permit the
Museum to use and distribute the information with any restrictions named
below placed on its use."

In the instance that no restrictions were put in place, it seems pretty cut
and dry to be able to supply this researcher with the scans of the
transcripts--I guess where I'm still at a loss is whether scans of the
transcripts used as images in a dissertation presents any infringement
issues or necessitates some kind of notice or something similar in the
citation?

I look forward to your replies!

Thanks in advance,
Erica