Hello All!

The MA in Cultural Sustainability program at Goucher is is hosting a Cultural Sustainability day-long conference entitled Cultural Sustainability As An Act of Resilience at the end of the month in partnership with the Smithsonian. The keynote speaker is Margaret Kovach, the indigenous ethnographer who has dramatically changed the way cultural research is conducted. She is herself Saulteaux ancestry and a member of the Pasqua First Nation in Saskatchewan.

The day is filled with great information and insights for anyone working with cultures:
  • Indigenous culture and activism
  • Place-based learning and traditional agricultural practices in Ireland
  • Ghanaian Storytelling
  • Cultural Sustainability in the Peruvian Amazon Flooded Forests
  • Cultural Sustainability and Equity
  • Sounding Gullah Geechee Sustainability while Black at the Original Gullah Festival in South Carolina
  • Armenian Cultural Sustainability project for Smithsonian Center for Folklife and Cultural Heritage
There is a $15 registration fee for students, $40 for those who aren’t flush with cash right now, and the actual cost at $70.

Here’s the link! https://www.goucher.edu/learn/graduate-programs/ma-in-cultural-sustainability/anniversary-symposium/schedule.

I’m a museum content and communication consultant with over 20 years of experience and recently graduated with my MA from this amazing program. I strongly encourage anyone working with or in culture — namely, anyone in museums! — to give this their attention.

Feel free to reply to me directly if you have any questions: [log in to unmask]

Danke,

Cecelia

Cecelia Ottenweller
713-302-2793