Please excuse cross-posting and note contact info at end of announcement.

Job posting closes Feb. 11, 2020. Salary range: $57,741.00 - $87,687.00 Annually

Do you have a passion for history, love working with museum collections, and enjoy travel? If so, the Bureau of Historic Sites and Museums (BHSM) of the PA Historical and Museum Commission (PHMC) is looking for an experienced curator to assist with the care and management of our collection of objects, archival materials, and historic buildings and landscapes at our museums/historic sites across the Commonwealth.

As Chief Curator for the Bureau of Historic Sites and Museums of PHMC, you will play a crucial role in the preservation and interpretation of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania's history.  The collections and museums are as diverse as the Erie Maritime Museum, Bushy Run Battlefield, the Anthracite Heritage Museum, Cornwall Iron Furnace, and Ephrata Cloister.  (A complete listing of museums and historic sites on the PA Trails of History is found at www.phmc.pa.gov)  This senior level curatorial position will evaluate, document, catalog, and care for a large collection of objects, archival materials, and historic buildings and landscapes illustrating the breadth of Pennsylvania history.  Your work in helping to preserve our collections will make a significant and lasting difference for future generations.

Your work will include collections management tasks (such as identifying, inventorying, and cataloging a variety of objects and archival materials on exhibit and in storage), collections care tasks (historic housekeeping, upgrading storage areas, reviewing environmental conditions), research and writing (assisting with interpretive plans or furnishing plans), interpretation and exhibits (as a team member for exhibit development at sites), setting goals for the overall BHSM curatorial program, and supervising one staff person.

As part of the senior staff team at BHSM, you will be called upon to represent a curatorial perspective in the development and review of various Bureau-level programs.  You will also be a contributor to Bureau-level initiatives, such as our internal standards program and our diversity/equity/access/inclusion initiative.

For further information on BHSM’s Chief Curator position, please see https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/pabureau?category[0]=Museum&sort=PositionTitle%7CAscending