October 2019 Courses

$100.00 off any full length October course if purchased before September 7, 2019.  Use discount code EARLYBIRD at checkout at collectioncare.org.

MS 001: The Problem with Plastics

October 14 to 18, 2019

Instructor:  Diana Komejan

Location: http://museumclasses.org

As we march boldly toward the 22nd century, artifact collecting includes that most fragile of materials - plastic. Not only is it in our collections, but it is used to house our collections, too. What problems have you seen? What problems have others seen? What materials are best? What can we, as caretakers, do to minimize long-term damage? Join Diana in this mini-course for discussing care and deterioration of plastics. Bring any questions you have about plastics in your museum.

For more information or to sign up: https://www.collectioncare.org/problem-plastics-line-short-course

MS 106: Exhibit Fundamentals:  Ideas to Installation

October 1 to November 15, 2019

Instructor:  Karin Hostetter

Location: http://museumclasses.org

Nearly every museum develops exhibits, but how can we improve communication with visitors while taking care of our objects? Exhibit Fundamentals explores exhibits from idea to final installation in a variety of settings. Topics include exhibit theory, the role of the museum's mission, creating a timeline, accessibility and script writing. Also covered are design elements, installation techniques, object safety and security, visitor safety and evaluations. Each student develops an exhibit plan for his or her museum.

For more information or to sign up: https://www.collectioncare.org/exhibit-fundamentals-ideas-installation-line-course

MS204: Materials for Storage and Display

October 7-November 1, 2019

Instructor: Laura Elliff Cruz

Location: http://museumclasses.org

One of the great benefits of the 21st century is the abundance of materials for storing and displaying collections. Materials for Storage and Display covers this vast array in detail. Lectures and handouts separate materials by properties: rigid, padding, barrier and attachments. Slide shows illustrate the use of each. The course emphasizes acid-free materials and how to retrofit less appropriate materials. Materials for Storage and Display keeps current with the latest materials available for preservation. Using material testing as a decision making tool is covered. Participants receive notebooks with samples of all of the materials discussed.

For more information or to sign up: https://www.collectioncare.org/materials-storage-and-display-line-course

MS 209: Collections Management Policies for Museums and Related Institutions

October 7 to November 15, 2019

Instructor:  Kimberly Kenney

Location: http://museumclasses.org

Acquiring and holding collections impose specific legal, ethical and professional obligations. Museums must ensure proper management, preservation and use of their collections. A well-crafted collections management policy is key to collections stewardship. Collections Management Policies for Museums and Related Institutions helps participants develop policies that meet professional and legal standards for collections management. Collections Management Policies for Museums and Related Institutions teaches the practical skills and knowledge needed to write and implement such a policy. The course covers the essential components and issues a policy should address. It also highlights the role of the policy in carrying out a museum's mission and guiding stewardship decisions. Participants are expected to draft collections management policies.

For more information or to sign up: https://www.collectioncare.org/collections-management-policies-museums-and-related-institutions-line-course

MS 238: Design and Construction of Exhibit Mounts

October 7 to November 15, 2019

Instructor:  Tom Bennett

Location: http://museumclasses.org

Sprucing up your exhibits with safe, effective, inexpensive mounts can be easier and more fun than you thought. With a few tools, good technique and a bit of practice, you will be well on the way to presenting your objects in their most interesting light, with an eye on long-term safety and security. Design and Construction of Exhibit Mounts presents the basics of mountmaking for the small to medium-sized museum including tools, techniques and materials. Be prepared to construct mounts during the course. Students will be sent a list of materials and tools to acquire before the course commences. Come along and exercise your creative side while doing the collection a world of good.

For more information or to sign up: https://www.collectioncare.org/design-and-construction-exhibit-mounts-line-course

Feel free to contact me with questions.

Peggy Schaller
Northern States Conservation Center