Hi Suzy,

Location rates for filming can vary a lot depending on the size and type of
production (feature film, documentary, indie) and also on how much of your
staff will be involved. Do you have a filming policy that comprises
conditions for a letter of agreement or a contract? A film policy usually
lists very necessary items such as liability and damage insurance, the use
of any historic structures or landscapes, and especially any activities
anywhere near the collections. And it governs things like security,
parking, generators, food service for crew, etc. It is very important to
have a staff member (preferably in collections) monitor the entire filming
when they are on-site. I once ran into big issues with a film crew filming
an ad for our museum that used fogging machines inside a building with
extensive collections that covered everything with finely dispersed oil in
the mist, including valuable oil paintings and furniture. So you really
have to go over their shot list and setup's (not just the script) to review
what they'll be doing, where, when, and what support they'll need from you
such as power, time of day, etc. You really need a collections protection
plan in place for every building and room they'll be in. You don't want
rails and dollies on historic floors without protection. You don't want
they using gaffer's tape on any historic surface. As a lot of my friends in
film production have told me, "Crews are only interested in getting their
shots. They really don't care if they damage or break stuff because that's
what insurance is for."

As far as rates go, find out the details from the production company and
then you can ask either other museums nearby or your state film office for
information on both policies and rates.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Principal Conservator & Museum Consultant
Los Angeles CA. USA
www.cityofangelsconservation.weebly.com