Julie:

If I were your Executive Director, I would consider posting your RFQ
regionally and nationally just to be certain that you generate sufficient
qualified responses.  Your post could indicate that you would prefer a
California-based consultant, and your review of submissions could focus on
those respondents initially.  However, should you receive an insufficient
response from qualified consultants in-state, having initially cast a wider
net with your RFQ means that you could easily shift to considering
RFQ.

I'm not aware of a Listserv or online discussion forum that is focused
specifically on museum consultants.  Most such forums are broader in focus
(e.g. non-profit consultants), and would likely produce too many responses
from consultants without the museum interpretive planning experience you're
seeking.  However, in addition to posting to the* ICOM Museum-L Listserv*
used for your inquiry, I would also post on the *American Alliance of
Museums (AAM) Museum Junction*:  https://community.aam-us.org/
<https://community.aam-us.org/> .  While both these forums are targeted at
Museum Professionals, consultants who primarily serve museums frequently
pay attention to these postings as well.

Secondarily, you might explore with the following organizations whether a
posting through their websites would be appropriate.  These organizations
don't appear to provide the same kind of broad "online community forums"
available through ICOM or AAM, but might be amenable to your "creative" use
of what they do offer:

   - *California Association of Museums* (www.calmuseums.org):  While their
   community blog doesn't appear to host this kind of posting, you could
   inquire about the possibility.  Another option through CAM might be making
   a "Job Directory" posting for a "Museum Interpretive Planning Consultant."
   While technically you're looking for independent consultants, not employee
   candidates, if allowed such a job posting might catch the eye of some
   consultants qualified in this field.
   - *American Association for State and Local History* (aaslh.org):
   Similarly, you could discuss the possibility of posting info about your RFQ
   in either their community blog, their job listings, or both.
   - *Museum Education Roundtable* (http://museumeducation.info/):  As a
   leader in promoting professionalism in the field of museum education, the
   Museum Education Roundtable might be a group that museum interpretive
   planning consultants would continue to connect with.  Again, a conversation
   with this organization might identify opportunities for posting of your RFQ
   that aren't immediately evident from their website.

Finally, don't hesitate to do an online search for appropriate consultants,
as well as inquire with colleagues at other museums for referrals.  In
addition to your posting of the RFQ, it is often these more focused
personal searches and referrals that yield the strongest prospects.

Happy hunting!

Regards,

*John*

*John E. Coraor, Ph.D.*