Hello Christian,

Our collections have several toxin concerns: arsenic in old taxidermy, pesticides in old farm equipment and celluloid in addition to assorted other concerns. I found a book that was very helpful not only with identification of toxins, symptoms of effect to humans, what cautions to take and possible remediation, but also writing condition reports for toxic items, and policy suggestions.    Old Poisons New Problems – A Museum Resource for managing Contaminated Cultural Materials by Nancy Odegaard, Alyce Sadongi and Assoc. 2005.   Our state of New Jersey is very strict about pollutants and toxins so this book really helped.  Also, the people at the Smithsonian were very helpful and there are websites in US that handle poisons and toxins. Suggest you check the government environmental department in where you are.

In some cases disposal is all one can do.

Good Luck,

Cheryl

Cheryl Stoeber-Goff, Museum Curator

Historic Services Division

Monmouth County Park System

Ph: 732-975-9747 Fx: 732-975-9748

805 Newman Springs Rd, Lincroft, NJ  07738

NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIALITY
This message, including any prior messages and attachments, may contain advisory, consultative and/or deliberative material, confidential information or privileged communications of the County of Monmouth. Access to this message by anyone other than the sender and the intended recipient(s) is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, any disclosure, copying, distribution or action taken or not taken in reliance on it, without the expressed written consent of the County, is prohibited. If you have received this message in error, you should not save, scan, transmit, print, use or disseminate this message or any information contained in this message in any way and you should promptly delete or destroy this message and all copies of it. Please notify the sender by return e-mail if you have received this message in error.