Caitlin,

My advice as a long-term objects conservator is that how you handle, pack, and transport objects and art really begins with the specifics of the object, it's materials, and condition.

I would highly recommend having an experienced conservator in the specialty of the object / art type (such as paintings, paper, objects, textiles, etc.) do an examination - condition report with recommendations for handling, packing, and travel. Objects - art that is very fragile or sensitive to handling and Rh fluctuations probably shouldn't travel. So it's a goid idea to get everything to be loaned - travel to be evaluated first. Then the packing can incorporate those recommendations. This is not a DYI thing for a more generalized museum staff member to do.

There is a professional art handler association. Here is the link to their web site:
http://www.paccin.org/content.php?s=88d043b636bbc67da4be49ed32ea5572

Don't use their information as recipes. They don't reflect the specific issues that some if your collections may present.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Principal Conservator & Museum Consultant
Los Angeles USA
www.cityofangelsconservation.weebly.com