You likely do not need Directors & Officers Insurance - because that is a product to protect the organization FROM the directors & officers in the case of their negligence or wrongful actions. Lots of people mis-understand what D&O insurance is - wikipedia has a fairly good explanation in the first paragraph of the link below.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directors_and_officers_liability_insurance

What you likely DO need is a basic liability policy - something to protect the organization, employees, board etc. in cases such as the one you mentioned - if someone slips and falls.

Since you said you do not have any property or collections - it sounds as if you do not have any insurance policy now. You should be able to get a basic liability policy - although that is usually a part of a general business policy that covers property and personal property of the organization - so you may have to shop around or find a local insurance agent who handles business policies for multiple insurance companies to find what options are available where you are located.

Insurance prices vary wildly by region and locality - but you should be able to do much better than $1000. For about $900 - our basic business policy covers liability in our main museum location (a city owned building) as well as the business property, a property we own with a large metal building and an archival storage area within that metal building as well as the business property and liability at that site, and 13.5 acres of land that is a Lewis & Clark historic site (that is considered unimproved for insurance purposes) even though it has numerous signs, a trail crossing it and a parking lot, etc. and liability coverage for programs or events we may hold somewhere else. And FYI we also have a separate collections policy for the artifacts.

So $1000 sounds a bit steep for basic liability. I have not priced actual D&O Insurance so that may be what that quote was actually for.

Chris Taylor
Executive Director
Atchison County Historical Society
P.O. Box 201