There is a short and long answer to this and it depends on the type of benefits you give away with your membership(s). For example, frequently used benefits like free access to the museum, or members-only events (so long as the cost-per person does not reach a certain threshold) are insubstantial and need not be counted. So is your annual report/year in review.   As well, you are only required to notify donors if their membership exceeds $75.

But more to your point, if your museum is offering benefits that are substantial and need  to be counted for tax reasons, you need to disclose that on soliciting material.

I would suggest checking out http://americanmuseummembership.org/uploads_ed/files/museum%20membership%20and%20Tax%20Rules.pdf for some good examples.

Very Kind Regards,

Shane Stuart

Annual Giving Manager