From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Rachel Whitney
Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2018 3:11 PM
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Subject: [MUSEUM-L] The keys to moving a piano or two or three

Hello,

I am the Museum Director for a small-town, small-museum in Oklahoma. We have little for our budget, and I have a few large items that the museum cannot take care of anymore. I am new to the small town, as well as, new to the museum world. Most of my board members have lived in the town all their lives, but no one has ever worked in a museum or the very least dealt with archival/collection.

In my museum's collection are several items that we cannot take care - they have never been taken care of since they were donated to the museum approx. 20 years ago. I have 1 grand piano and 2 organs. They're surprisingly in pretty good/fair condition, however, I know they are not being taking care of because a) they're in storage - where there is no a/c, humidity control, and mold in the building, b) these items have no connection to the town and our mission statement, c) there are no documentation on how we received these items or who they had belonged to or significance to person and the town. What can/should I do? We don't need them, but we can't move them, either - but if we can, we will adjust the moving of these items to our budget.

Thank you,
Rachel Whitney