Hi! I agree with Linda. I used my ICOM card at several museums in NY last
year, saving quite a lot of $. Plus, the mailings are very interesting,
offering international perspectives. Therese Quinn

On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 2:03 PM, Linda Norris <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Thanks for your input Christian, but as an American the ICOM fee can
> pay itself back in just very few visits (even though we are not "a very
> poor country".  I've found that it might not cover every museum, but for
> instance, the Rijksmuseum 17.50 euro, Mauritshuis 15.50 euro, the Louvre, 9
> euro, several Gaudi buildings in Barcelona, 22 euro for just one, have all
> been covered in the last year for me.  And that number of museums is, on a
> trip, just a few days and the ICOM membership is $135. So if you're
> traveling for a week, you may get very close to covering the cost of
> membership.  Caitlin, I had assumed you were American, so this is from my
> American perspective.
>
> On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 8:43 AM, C. Müller-Straten <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>
>> Linda,
>>
>> it depends on the national ICOM fees! Most private museums and company
>> museums do not accept ICOM cards, lots of church museums don`t, museums of
>> incorporated societies or even foundations don`t. For me as an German ICOM
>> member visiting many museums and paying the high German ICOM fee (!), there
>> is no financial advantage at all. There are other reasons to become an ICOM
>> member, but financial advantage does not belong to them. Only as a member
>> from a poorer country with much lower ICOM fees this system is advantageous.
>>
>> Getting back to the original thread: Best thing would be to ask your tax
>> accountant of trust, also for the tickets/car costs. Most important anyway:
>> Collect all bills, recepts, records etc.
>>
>> Christian
>>
>> Am 06.06.2018 um 23:48 schrieb Linda Norris:
>>
>> My best advice (non-tax related) on visiting museums internationally:  become
>> an ICOM member. <http://www.icomus.org/join-us>  Virtually everywhere in
>> the world provides free admission to ICOM members (sometimes huge savings)
>> and often you also get to skip the line.  Totally worth it, while
>> supporting the work of museums everywhere!
>>
>> Have a great time!
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 4:14 PM, Marc A Williams <[log in to unmask]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Cait,
>>>
>>> This is a bit more complicated than it may seem.  This is
>>> due significantly to the new tax changes that took effect on 1/1/18.  As a
>>> bit of background, I have run my museum conservation business for 30 years
>>> and have prepared all my tax returns.  My partner is an executive director
>>> of a statewide historic site organization.  I have worked with her on her
>>> tax returns, although I did not prepare them.  So my disclaimer is that I
>>> have experience but I am not a licensed tax preparation professional.
>>>
>>> 1) In the previous law, employees were allowed to deduct "unreimbursed
>>> employee expenses" or some such term from their itemized deductions.  But
>>> even under the old system, if you took the standard deduction, you could
> [...]

The task of teachers, those obscure soldiers of civilization, is to give to
the people the intellectual means to revolt. [Louise Michel / 1830-1905 /
Mémoires / 1886]

UIC United Faculty Local 6456: *http://uicunitedfaculty.org/
<http://uicunitedfaculty.org/>*
UIC United Faculty on Facebook (Like us!): http://tinyurl.com/c26hyej
Twitter: @UICUF

Calm Inbox: email checked once (or so) in the AM and once (or so) in the
PM.