Hello Anne,

 I developed a cheap and manageable solution some years back by attaching two coroplast signs (the stuff they make plastic yards signs out of) to either side of a piece painted plywood. The plywood had hooks attached to the top that we could then hang from a bracket on the corner of our building. Like you we needed something that was easy for our volunteers to handle-- not too big, not too heavy. It also needed to be visible by drivers on both sides of the busy street on which our site was located.

Each coroplast sign was about $40, custom-designed from a make it yourself website, and the low price allowed us to experiment with the design of the signage (white letters on red background seems to be the most eye-catching). Six years later, our sign is holding up very well.

Hope this helps.

Suzanne Buchanan
Cultural Resources Consultant