Joe,

As in everything to do with legal rights it can get complex.

Most wedding photographers keep the copyright to their photos, wven thougj they were works for hire, so they can use them in their portfolios and to promote their businesses. Aside from copyright there are privacy rights for non-public persons that can vary greatly from state to state. Most professional.photographers, other than photojournalists, get models releases from their subjects. This may ot may not be done for weddings (it depends on their contracts) and even if the couple signs a release they cannot sign away the privacy rights for everyone else at the wedding. A fuller explanation is in the link below.

 Important factors are whether the photos are being used commercially for profit or in an offensive or embarassing manner. So for most museums those are non issues.

While best practice is to contact the people in the photos to ask permission to make them public, often many wedding photographers post them online or in printed materials and if someone complains then they take them down. That sounds like a reasonable policy.

https://www.quora.com/Do-I-have-any-rights-to-photos-taken-of-me-at-someones-wedding

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey