Amber-

When there are historic objects with painted surfaces there are no safe
"recipes". Properly cleaning painted objects can be complex - it depends on
the condition of the substrate material and the paint, and to have an exact
understanding of what accretions should be cleaned (removed) and what
accretions represent the patina or history of the object during it's life.
So consult with either a wooden objects or a paintings conservator about
this object. Get them in to examine it and give you an assessment of what
can be done and what should not be done. If it is stable and not actively
deteriorating right now then the best decision is probably to leave it
alone until you can get someone with expertise to examine it.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Senior Conservator & Museum Consultant