Good morning-

I've recently acquired for collections a very large painted wooden sign
that was installed for 60 years in a local bar. The sign, and the bar, are
legendary.

The sign was painted by hand, and while it was sealed originally, decades
of light, smoke, and environment have created a layer of what I am calling
"bar deposits."

Any ideas about a gentle cleaning? I'm concerned about the use of liquids,
as only the top surface was painted or sealed. I'm not trying to restore it
to its original, just to clean the top layer a bit, and prevent further
damage by these ethnographic deposits.

Thanks
Amber R. Clifford-Napoleone
Director, McClure Archives and Museum

--
*Always remember your email etiquette!*
*Students: Always check both your syllabus and Blackboard first, your

Amber R. Clifford-Napoleone, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Anthropology (Anthropology Program Wood 136B,
660-543-4877)
Director, McClure Archives and University Museum (JCKL 1470, 660-543-4649)
University of Central Missouri
Email: [log in to unmask]
Web: https://www.ucmo.edu/hist-anth/facstaff/Clifford-Napoleone.cfm

MAILING ADDRESS: