Greetings

Maybe its time for the arts, PBS and the museum industry to finally have an open and honest discussion about the growing lack ideological diversity within our ranks.

Admittedly, its probably worse in art museums, especially here in deep blue New England. I have been center right (and therefore a minority in my profession and also where I live) my entire adult life and could write a book on how that affected my professional experiences.

Last year I proposed a session for our annual New England Museum Association that promised to discuss winning strategies for museums and historic preservation in dealing with a GOP dominated Federal govt. It wasn’t chosen and I would be stunned to learn that AASLH, AAM or NEMA ever had anyone else propose such a thing. Not saying it was overt ideological discrimination, but having seen plenty of that - I think its something we should all be as conscious of as any other kind of diversity prejudice - and that’s just museums. Imagine humanities departments in higher ed.

There are a lot of reasons beyond fairness why ideological diversity would be good for us all.

I have my own beef with NEH, NEA and PBS. If I had my way they’d block grant all the money to the state councils. I have long assumed that 90% of NEH grants go to the richest biggest 10% of museums. I heard a rep from NEH at an AASLH session complain that there are 20 entire states they wish they had (more) applications from. The problem always is a lack of a viable feedback loop.

cheers

Bill Hosley

William Hosley
Terra Firma Northeast
Cultural Resource Marketing & Development Consultant
860-944-8349
Join me on Facebook "Creating Sense of Place for CT",  "Housing History", "Our History Matters!" & more
Skype - william.hosley
Twitter - @BillHosley
Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/billhosley
http://www.ctvisit.com