Make sure the led tubes you use are the dimmable type, otherwise you will have to get new tubes that will work on a dimmer. Al Noftz

On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 9:41 AM, Dan Bartlett <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
We replaced the fluorescent tubes in our cases that still had them with LED tubes. The ballasts had to be removed and the tubes wired into the old fixtures. It was a pretty straightforward operation. The old tubes were filtered so UV was not a problem and they were in light boxes so IR was not a problem. Visible light was impossible to control but we did it with several thin layers of ethafoam.

The advantage of the new tubes besides the energy savings is that we can (and will eventually) add dimmers to each case to control visible light with greater ease. As for cost, the college got an energy efficiency grant of some kind so it cost the museum nothing but the inconvenience of having contractors on site for two days.

db