Hi Kevin,

in a world of loud museum marketing which often leads to disappointments and irritations as well as museum awards often avoiding a look behind public areas of museums, this sounds like a great idea. We congratulate your community to launch such a project.

Getting back to our own services, we are running a public European museum database which includes 28,118 museums all over Europe. As this service is free, you are able to search this database for museums closed with appropriate SQL fulltext search characters. See http://www.museum-aktuell.de/index.php?site=museen&TM=2

An example from Lituania can be found here: http://www.museum-aktuell.de/index.php?site=museen_liste&action=suchen&land=&BL=&TM=2&suchstring=Vyzuonos+&befehl=Ok&wosuchen=1

There are many reasons for closing a museum, but not all are gloomy (your term). In many cases of closed museums, for example, museum objects of smaller premises, often with untrained personnel, were transferred to larger institutions with trained personnel. Functioning concepts may function only for a limited period, because the context (visitor interests) have changed. In times of deadly low public budgets, many public museums were intended to be closed which could be avoided by museum organizations and other groups like the press fighting for their maintenance. Many smaller private museums, on the other hand, mirroring just the unconventional collecting ideas of their owners were closed in the past because public interest in a multitude of similar objects could not be raised.

In contrary to many other museum lists and databases, we document changes of names of museums as well as closing downs with notes on the reasons, and the whereabouts of the museum objects. What is missing, of course, are notes on the whereabouts of the personnel...

Notes on some closed museums can be found additionally in back issues of MUSEUM AKTUELL and EXPOTIME!. For May 2018, we are preparing a bi-monthly issue of EXPOTIME! on museums failed. Three analytical contributions for this spectacular issue are already prepared in the moment. Two additional articles are still possible - as EXPOTIME! covers museums worldwide, members of the list may feel themselves invited to contribute. Contacts: [log in to unmask]

Best

Adelheid Straten

Christian Mueller-Straten