Diane -

I teach an online course on "Copyright and Intellectual Property 101 for Museums". The next course starts on Dec. 11th.
www.copyrightclass15.eventbrite.com

Copyright is for original works of collections of works in writing, photography, film, video, art, music, dance, and software.

The records you describe could be considered copyright if the forms were created by your institution - but the laws that apply would be the existing laws from the time they were created.

Records most likely fall under Trade Secrets or proprietary information of your institution that is a protected type of intellectual property. Additionally, you own the records and control access to them. So, ultimately you fully control access, and use for those records and you can impose any policy or agreement for anyone asking access to them.

This is how it would apply in the USA. Different countries have different laws in regards to copyright and intellectual property.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Senior Conservator & Museum Consultant