As a brand consultant and graphic designer, if you can’t hire someone like me :), here’s what I’d recommend for one-off and small-batches of membership cards printed in-house:

https://www.canva.com/ <https://www.canva.com/>

Canva’s great because it really helps non-designers make something that looks good, is FREE and is all online, so no fussing with finicky Word or Publisher.

They have sections with membership card templates as well as business cards (and lots of other useful stuff). You can modify the existing design using their easy online tools. Make sure you really represent your brand, even if it means scrapping everything in the template and doing something simple with your logo, colors and/or typefaces.

Once you have the design the way you want it, download it as a PDF. Choose the “crop marks and bleeds” checkbox. You’ll be able to print it out on the paper of your choice (I’d go for the heaviest card stock that works well in your printer). You’ll then have crop marks that you can use to cut out the card with a ruler and an X-acto knife. This is going to look a lot nicer than the “micro-perf” edges that you get with pre-fab business card paper. (Pro tip: a sharp blade and a metal ruler or a triangle from the drafting department will make cutting easier.)

If you want to get really fancy, you can get a laminating machine (Staples, about $50 and up) and laminate these, too.

You could also consider NOT personalizing your membership cards and print a batch at any number of online printers. You could use standard business card size or, at many, a European business card size, which is more like what we’d think of for a membership card. Some also have custom or other sizes. It can be surprisingly inexpensive. You can even have plastic credit-card-like cards made pretty cheaply (though these are not a green option, of course.) A lot of online printers offer some really cool printing technologies standard now, like really thick cards with colored edges, or the use of different varnishes to make your cards silky or shiny, etc. The following are my favorite inexpensive online printers I’ve used and can vouch for the quality of:

https://www.greenerprinter.com/ <https://www.greenerprinter.com/>
silkcardspro.com <http://silkcardspro.com/>
https://www.overnightprints.com/ <https://www.overnightprints.com/>
https://www.moo.com/us/ <https://www.moo.com/us/>

As a person who joins museums and other arts/culture orgs, I don’t think I would think twice if I received a membership card without my name on it. Especially if I was distracted by the nice quality of the card!

If you have other questions about ways to produce branded materials in-house or on the cheap, feel free to ask me on list or off. 20 years of doing things with paper (and the internet) have taught me a few tricks I’m happy to share!

Annie

Annie Smidt
durable creative
617.850.2139