Thanks for your note, Dina.

This is a topic that interests me very much, but I have to say that the somewhat narrow collecting interests of the museum I direct—the Morris Museum of Art is specifically interested in the art and artists of the American South—may prove too limiting for your group.

Max Anderson—former director of the Whitney, Indianapolis, and Dallas museums—resides in Manhattan and may be someone with whom you would want to speak. He’s now the president of the Souls Grown Deep Foundation in Atlanta, which has a particular interest in African American vernacular art.  You might also want to talk to others with New York ties—Thelma Golden at the Studio Museum in Harlem; Kinshasha Holman Conwill, Thelma Golden’s predecessor and now the deputy director of the National Museum of African American History and Culture; Jackie Serwer is the chief curator at the NMAAHC.

There are numbers of women directors and curators elsewhere, if you wish to remain gender-specific in every way.  Deborah Velders, the director of the Mobile Museum of Art, moved there from the DeMenil Collection in Houston, for example.

Closer to home, you might find Regina Stewart, the now-retired head of Artists Equity, a helpful resource.  Katie Crum, now retired, was a museum director in California.  Both live downtown in Manhattan.  You might also want to contact Stephanie Stebich, director, or Virginia Mecklenburg, chief curator, at the Smithsonian American Art Museum.  I can provide contact information for all of these persons, should that interest you.

The Morris Museum is an active collector, though, given the financial constraints of the past few years, we have relied principally on donations to build the collection.  That may prove to be true of many mid-sized to small museums, no matter their location.  Still, I’d be happy to discuss this with you further, should you wish to do so.

All the best.

Kevin Grogan

Kevin Grogan
Director
The Morris Museum of Art
1 Tenth Street
Augusta, Georgia 30901
T 706.724.7501
F 706.724.7612
E [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
URL www.themorris.org<http://www.themorris.org/>
         www.southernsoulandsong.org<http://www.southernsoulandsong.org/>