Hi Shannon —

I don’t know the answer to where you might donate these photos, but I’m interested in the topic of these sort of artifacts generally. I’m actually a LAM branding consultant, not a curator myself, but I love old photos and the history of photography.

I “rescued” a collection of family photos from an estate sale in my neighborhood, where clearly none of the descendants of people in the photos wanted them, or were alive anymore. They’re mostly from the 20s, and sporadically labelled. I considered donating them to my local historical society, and that may be the answer here — but I’m also taking into consideration the fact that small historical societies don’t always have the tech or resources to handle owning all the old photos that people might want to donate. Or family photo collections just might not be as historically priceless as we like to think. Or, there are cases like yours, where unidentified landscapes are of questionable value — but too “good” to just throw out.

In some cases, though maybe not yours, I feel like the answer probably lies in “donating” these kinds of artifacts to the public domain in digital form, so that if there *are* people to whom they’re valuable, they can access them. I know there were be a lot of cases where museums can’t do this on account of the policies and procedures they must abide by, but sometimes, it will be possible. And certainly it will be possible as an alternative for private collectors vs. donating objects to a resource-strafed institution with too much *stuff* already. I’m very grateful and inspired by museums and individuals who have taken the time to upload “no known copyright restrictions” visual material to Flickr and elsewhere. I find these collections useful for my (design) work, and edifying and enjoyable to look at in general.

I know there’s a lot of open culture discussion already taking place in the community, but I just wanted to start a conversation or provoke thought about how to deal with the plethora of personal/snapshot images that are now kicking around from the early 20th century explosion of popular photography. Are they all valuable? Should we ever throw out 100-year-old photos? How do we preserve them without straining resources? What should individuals who want to contribute these assets to the “public good” do (and what happens to the originals afterwards)?

Thanks for letting me think aloud in your inboxes!

Annie

Annie Smidt
durable creative
617.850.2139