Hello Sarah,

                I’ve worked in a few different settings:

·         (large institution) in house full time cleaning staff that clean virtually everywhere expect collections storage/lab/exhibit items,

o   necessary due to the sheer size of the building, can be trained, and have an investment in doing a good job as it’s their only location,

·         (medium institution) in house part time cleaning staff that clean virtually everywhere expect collections storage/lab/exhibit items,

o   benefit of potentially being cheaper than an outside service, greater flexibility for events and such, greater oversight of work being preformed, and allowed for easier transition of staff as no tenders with insurance requirements had to go out, etc.,

·         (medium institution) contracted cleaning staff that clean virtually everywhere expect collections storage/lab/exhibit items,

o   most hands off and easy to end relationship should issues arise,

·         (medium institution) responsibility of current staff and delegated as necessary,

o   most time consuming but highest level of cleaning with least chance of some sort of negative event occurring.

They all had their advantages/disadvantages and were mainly dictated by need. Your main issue is staff time on busy days. If these are known ahead of time and regular, a contacted company/individual might be your easiest route but if it’s here and there a part time staff member will likely give you the most flexibility, especially if it is someone you can call on short notice.

William Shepherd
Collections Officer
Swift Current Museum
44 Robert Street West