Interpretive Writing Plus
Contract interpretive writing services.

   Do you need an interpretive writer? While we teach two interpretive writing courses through our Heritage Interpretation Training Center (http://www.heritageinterp.com/interpretive_writing_course.html) we’ve had several exhibit and other consulting firms ask us if we could do interpretive writing services for them – they didn’t have the time to do a course – just needed superior interpretive writing for museum and visitor center exhibits, outdoor interpretive panels, trail/byway guides or other projects.  So now we offer contract interpretive writing services for your projects, or can offer on-site interpretive writing training workshops.

What makes writing copy for exhibits, panels and other interpretive media “interpretive” vs. just “informational”?  Our interpretive writing:

1.     Is based on accomplishing the interpretive objectives for the media.
2.     Is based on using Tilden’s Interpretive Principles (provoke, relate, reveal) in the text development.
3.     Works to help illustrate a main interpretive theme for the exhibition or site.
4.     Uses tangibles and intangibles in the text development (to relate to the reader).
5.     Considers the audience in creating analogies, metaphors and active language.
6.     Is short – 50 – 100 words.
7.     Supports or reveals the photographs or graphics in the exhibit or panels relatable meaning.
8.     Can be easily pre-tested with visitors to make sure the objectives of the text or copy are actually accomplished.

Want to learn more about our contract interpretive writing services?  Check out our web site page that also illustrates some writing examples.  If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
http://www.heritageinterp.com/interpretive_writing.html

John Veverka
Editor, InterpNEWS
Director, Heritage Interpretation Training Center
Assoc. Editor, The NAI Journal of Interpretation Research
Author of  “The Interpretive Writers Guidebook”.