Interpretive WritingPlus
Contract interpretivewriting services.

   Do you need an interpretive writer? Whilewe teach two interpretive writing courses through our Heritage InterpretationTraining Center (http://www.heritageinterp.com/interpretive_writing_course.html)we’ve had several exhibit and other consulting firms ask us if we could dointerpretive writing services for them – they didn’t have the time to do acourse – just needed superior interpretive writing for museum and visitorcenter exhibits, outdoor interpretive panels, trail/byway guides or otherprojects.  So now we offer contract interpretive writing services for yourprojects, or can offer on-site interpretive writing training workshops.

What makes writing copy for exhibits,panels and other interpretive media “interpretive” vs. just “informational”?  Our interpretive writing:

1.     Is based on accomplishing the interpretiveobjectives for the media.
2.     Is based on using Tilden’s Interpretive Principles(provoke, relate, reveal) in the text development.
3.     Works to help illustrate a main interpretive themefor the exhibition or site.
4.     Uses tangibles and intangibles in the textdevelopment (to relate to the reader).
5.     Considers the audience in creating analogies, metaphorsand active language.
6.     Is short – 50 – 100 words.
7.     Supports or reveals the photographs or graphics inthe exhibit or panels relatable meaning.
8.     Can be easily pre-tested with visitors to make surethe objectives of the text or copy are actually accomplished.

Wantto learn more about our contract interpretive writing services?  Check out our web site page that alsoillustrates some writing examples.  Ifyou have any questions, feel free to ask.
http://www.heritageinterp.com/interpretive_writing.html

John Veverka
Editor,InterpNEWS
Director,Heritage Interpretation Training Center
Assoc.Editor, The NAI Journal of Interpretation Research
Authorof  “The Interpretive Writers Guidebook”.